What if Spouse Refuses to Return Child After Visitation?

What if Spouse Refuses to Return Child After Visitation?

What should you do if your spouse refuses to bring back the minor children at the end of his or her visitation period?  First do not panic.  Call the non-custodial parent and inquire as to the whereabouts of the child or children and when they will be available for you to pick up.  If that does not work or the non-custodial parent refuses then your course of action is by legal means.

Contact an attorney and tell him the situation and they can advise you on a proper course of action.  Some possible legal remedies are filing documents for the immediate return of the minor child or children or filing to have the non-custodial parent held in contempt of court for failing to abide by the court’s order concerning visitation. Finally depending on the gravity of the circumstances you may ask the court to order the local sheriff’s department to accompany you to retrieve the minor child or children if there is a risk of danger to you or them.  This is not an exhaustive list but just some of the usual legal remedies available for these circumstances.